11.12.2008

Cause of My Heart

Today is the March of Dimes Prematurity Awareness Day.

Why do I care about such a thing?

Here's the answer:





That's Will, not long after he was born. Still hard for me to look at these pictures, even seven years later.

Twenty-five weeks gestation.
Weight of one pound, 10 ounces.
Three and a half months in the NeoNatal Intensive Care Unit.

His early start in life came with a myriad of health problems, which he bravely and stubbornly battles still today, as he is developmentally delayed, with mild cerebral palsy and a seizure disorder.

However, as you probably do know, he is a bright, funny, creative, sweet-natured fellow who is the light of my life and my primary focus and inspiration.

The March of Dimes folks have set up a online petition that you can sign indicating your support for more public research dollars to identify causes of preterm labor and prematurity, and to identify and test promising interventions. No donation is necessary -- just your virtual John or Jane Hancock.

If you're so inclined, please take a second to check this out -- I've got a handy-dandy place to sign right here in the sidebar of the blog. If you're even more inclined and curious and would like to read more about our journey, check out my blog pieces entitled The Will Chronicles.

As you can imagine, I'm more than passionate about this cause and wanted to share a bit of that with y'all.

Thanks and love.

11 comments:

bronsont said...

Signed and will follow up other ways.

TopSurf said...

I have signed the petition and I have indeed read your Chronicles. Those chronicles are fantastic and it was such a journey you were on, I was so moved when I read them. I thank you for sharing that part of your life. You are right about your child he is everything you describe. When ever you post a photo of him I can see the pure love resonate from him.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have each other. You are such a blessing to him! And he you!

mehitabel said...

Signed your petition, and will continue to follow up. My girls and I do the March of Dimes Walk each year, raising money for research. My granddaughter Tori was born early (at a whopping 3 lbs 4 oz) and she too has challenges related to her prematurity. So you have solidarity here!

Anonymous said...

I don't care about anyone but myself.

Anonymous said...

My Mom worked for The March of Dimes for years and my wife sends out donation envelopes to the neighborhood every year. They do outstanding work...

Anonymous said...

I have signed the petition and will do all I can to help raise money for this very important cause. If it means so much to you, then it does to me as well. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Signed the petition and Hugs!

Anonymous said...

You are quite an amazing mom! I don't know how you do it. I read Will's Chronicles. AlI can say is wow, you are so strong. Happily signed the petition.

Anonymous said...

I proudly signed the petition, this is a cause that I support every year! Thanks for sharing!!

Sprezzatura said...

We all love you, girlie.

And is it just me, or does New York Jew's heartless bastard facade fail to convince every time?