5.25.2006

Driven To Tears

I just read an item on Yahoo News that makes me surprisingly sad. Ian Copeland, brother of Police drummer Stewart Copeland, has died at the age of 57. The Copeland brothers, including eldest brother Miles, were responsible for shaping my musical taste and for providing the soundtrack for my college years and thereafter.

The International Records Syndicate (I.R.S.) label, founded by Miles, produced many of the albums that I discovered as a college student, and still listen to even now -- The Police, the B-52's, the Bangle, the Go-Gos, the Cure, the Smiths and R.E.M. Ian, in conjunction, helped to bring the British band Squeeze to the states -- and I ironically just listened to Singles: 45s and Under just today.

These guys had an major impact on my life, and it's not until you read about something like this that you really can appreciate it. And it's also a sign that an era truly is ending.

So, thanks, Ian. This fan is truly appreciative.

No comments: