5.24.2006

Off the top of my naturally curly head of hair...

No matter what the tv ads tell you, Lean Cuisines don’t taste all that great. Trust me. Necessary but meh. And Quaker Rice Cakes? Cardboard with seasoning. Damn, I hate being on a diet.

I finally took the time to update that profile thing that the lovely Blogger people so graciously provide. Not sure why, but it just seemed like the thing to do. Guess I can't stand to leave a question or survey unanswered. And it reminded me that I have a lot of old favorite movies and books that it's time to revisit. I'll just add that to my list...

For the first time in months, my Tuesday night was not spent furiously dialing and texting for my man Elliott. Didn’t even watch the AI final. Bittersweetly liberating.

Favorite new songs/group of the moment: “Over My Head (Cable Car)” and “How to Save a Life” by The Fray. Very much like Ben Folds Five minus a bit of brooding. Highly recommended.

Will has to have his adenoids removed and tubes put in his ears this summer. I scheduled his surgery after our week-long beach vacation in late June. It’s hard enough to wrangle him without having to worry about getting water in his newly-tubed ears. Gotta make sure the vacation stays as relaxing as possible. I understand that this is a relatively simple procedure, which makes me feel a bit better. And when compared to the fact that Will literally had brain surgery in an emergency room two years ago to remove his malfunctioning shunt, it should be fairly standard stuff. I hope.

Latest fun objective: To see Tom Jones in Vegas at the MGM Grand. My friend Susan DiPlacido, she of the fantastic blog Neon Fiction, and I have talked about doing this. How quintessentially Vegas, don’t you think? It’s not quite seeing the Rat Pack at the Sands, but it’ll do.

Top Chef finale tonight. If Harold doesn’t win, it’ll be a damn shame. He’s cute, surly, cranky -- but boy if he doesn’t know his way around that kitchen.

Le Creuset cookware? Worth every bit of the seemingly outrageous price. My osso buco has never been more succulent, and Julia Child’s French Onion soup recipe that I’ve been making since I was 13 years old has never ever tasted better. I’d like to think that my cooking skills have escalated, but in reality, I think it’s the cookware. Now if only I could get the timing on my risotto down...

Just heard from my soon-to-be-ex-regular babysitter (she’s going off to college in a couple of weeks, to Florida State no less. I still love her, although her choice in schools is very questionable...) that a young woman, who I babysat when she was a baby, and who just recently got married, is thinking about having a baby herself. That tidbit made me run, not walk, to the mirror to analyze every single wrinkle and tell-tale age sign on my 41-year-old face. Very sobering. I don't need to do that on a regular basis. It's not good for my fragile self-esteem. I'm just sayin'.

There is no household chore I hate more than cleaning out the refridgerator. Especially the inevitable discovery of some mysterious thing in a tupperware dish that has evolved into something that could possibly be toxic or the link to the cure for cancer. I've had to sacrifice a lot of good tupperware dishes to the cause. Ah, the delightful tedium of being a domestic goddess on the skids.

I just realized that I've been rambling on about a lot of kitchen-type stuff today. Weird.

My summer project: to archive and scan all the family photos that somehow have ended up in my garage. I have become the de-facto family historian, which is fine, because I’ve been dabbling in genealogy for years. I got stuck with all this stuff, though, when my parents moved from our family home of 35 years to a condo. In the transition, they needed to “temporarily” store some things in our garage. When they finally came to collect everything, they left with far less than they came with. Hmm. Most of it was stuff that my mom didn’t want, but couldn’t bear to throw away. Again, hmm. But, I’m having fun going through all the old photos, and once Will goes back to summer school (a preschool mom’s best friend), I will become one with my scanner and iPhoto. I'm looking forward to unearthing and dusting off some of my long-dormant skills. Although layout and design just aren't the same in the electronic age. No X-acto knives, no rubber cement balls, no t-squares. Sigh.

No comments: