1.07.2008

Docked and Disembarked

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close, sway me more...

~ "Sway" (as sung by Dean Martin!)

Terra firma is now once again under my feet. We are home from a weird, weird week on the high seas. And I do mean high. The cruise log, so thoughtfully provided by the ship's very efficient staff, showed that during our roller coaster time in the tropics, we at one point, were moving through winds of Gale Force 9. A quick run through Google took me to the Beaufort Wind Scale, which indicates that Gale Force 9 winds range from 47-54 miles an hour, producing waves of 23-32 feet. Here's the little drawing that accompanied the data:
Photobucket

Ai yi yi.

It's no wonder I still am having some serious balance/equilibrium problems even now, after being off the boat for over 24 hours. My lingering cold *coughhackcough* might have something to do with that as well. El yucko. However, it's better to be sick in gale force winds on a lovely cruise ship than at home in Florida, watching the Weather Channel and checking my home owner's insurance policy. I don't have people to bring me Bloody Marys at home during such situations. Unfortunately.

And now I'm about the business of Cruise Aftermath Cleanup. The bonus about driving to the port, rather than flying, was that I didn't have to worry about packing the suitcase(s) and all the souvenirs for plane transport. Packing liquids and gels in my carry on luggage -- how daring and liberating! But I've got loads and loads of laundry and piles of dry cleaning to tend to and where did I pack my book that I was reading... not that I have time to pick it up, now that I'm back to my real life.

But when I drink a cold one out of my Sloppy Joe's bottle coozy and make the sope recipe I learned on my cooking excursion for friends and tote my stuff around in the gorgeous Guatemalan tote I bought, I can remember what it was like to be a lady of leisure, trying to keep her balance through tropical stormy seas. And that, in turn, might help me keep my balance here in reality.

I'll drink to that.

No comments: