1.09.2008

'Tain't Nobody Here But Me!

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone...

~ "I Am a Rock"
Simon and Garfunkel

Solitary confinement. What a glorious concept.

For the first time in over two weeks, I am alone in my house. No one here but me.

Shh... listen. Nothing but the sound of the television and the click*click*click of the keyboard.

Bliss.

Will has gone back to school, finally. The faucet that was his little nose has stopped running. My head cold has accepted a transfer to my chest and now I sound like I'm expectorating a lung with each and every hacking cough. But I feel better. Which is something.

I like being alone sometimes. I relish not having to be responsible for anyone or anything, just for the moment. That's not to say that I check out of my responsibilities completely -- part of me is always at the ready should the school call with an issue about Will. *knock on wood*

But for right now, it's just me and myself and I. I've always been like this -- one to relish time alone. Maybe it stems from living without a roommate for the 10 years between college and when I got married. There's just something liberating about being by myself in my house. I don't do anything weird during these times, like run around naked or engage in subversive habits. Which is kinda disappointing, now that I think about it -- I sound so dull. Hmmm.

Regardless, I do think that a nap is on the agenda for today, if for no other reason than to try and shake the Cold That Wouldn't Die. That might be as wild and crazy as I get. There'll be time for other more interesting solitary pursuits.

Hooray for that.

Footnote. circa 3:30 pm: Apparently Will had a little trouble re-focusing today in school -- two weeks off is a long time for a kindergartener. And now he's having a post-school meltdown in his room for some unknown reason.

Sigh. It was grand while it lasted. The silence, that is. Back to Mama Duty.

No comments: