2.14.2008

Happy VD. Dammit.

Like the beat beat beat of the tom-tom
When the jungle shadows fall
Like the tick tick tock of the stately clock
As it stands against the wall

Like the drip drip drip of the raindrops
When the summer shower is through
So a voice within me keeps repeating
You, you, you...


Well. Here it is.

A day to celebrate that most elusive, coveted, fragile, mercurial and incomprehensible of emotions: love.

And how am I feeling today? Full of the spirit of the day?

Nope.

I'm cranky. Crabby. A little bereft, actually.

I suppose that will change as the day goes on. I'm hoping anyway.

No big celebrations are planned. No grand gestures on the docket -- unless you call having the dishwasher fixed a grand gesture. Comes with being married for over a decade and with the same person for even longer. I guess. The mister will be home in time for a grown-up dinner a casa. Coq au vin. Which will be nice. Gives me plenty of time to snap out of this.

Had an epic cry of record proportions this morning. Heaving sobs. Very attractive. Blame it on the hormones or the phase of the moon or that ever-present tickle of yearning that lives in my soul.

So now that I must go on
What more can I do
What good is being strong
When all I ever really want is you

~ "I'll Set You Free" -- The Bangles

I can tell I've been spending too much time alone in my own head -- which, considering how I think, is a very dangerous place to be. Especially since the Blues are knock-knock-knocking on the door. Damn.

This will pass. I think. It's not the first time I've conjured up these emotions. But I have to wonder what their constant appearances mean. Maybe my midlife crisis is finally here. Who knows.

Meanwhile, here's a clip that's New To Me of my most favorite romantic song in the world sung by my most favorite singer.


And just because I'm still Moody Blue instead of Loving Red today, here's this version of my ultimate torch song:


Something for everyone.

Happy V-Day, y'all. And I mean that with all my heart. MWAH!

No comments: