6.05.2008

This One's for All Y'all!

My world just gets smaller and smaller -- or bigger and bigger. I'm not sure which side of things this falls into.

Got an e-mail from the husband of my mom's best friend since childhood -- they live in Baltimore. Have no idea how he got my addy -- must have picked it up from something my mom sent out to a group. The internet certainly makes for interesting and slightly improbable connections.

However, this wasn't your typical "forward something shit-tacular to a hell of a lot of people in your address book." There's a lot of that going around right now in my world -- lots of political stuff being zipped through cyberspace. Most of it spouting views 180 degrees opposite of what mine are... however, that's another subject for another day.

I actually liked what he sent. It fits my mood at the moment.

So here you go, y'all. This one's from me to you, from way down here in the balmy South (and Florida does so count as the South if you're a second-generation native with no one in your family born above the Mason-Dixon line...)

Oh -- this is important... while I don't totally agree with the assessment given to the 'friends' (it's more than a little rough around the edges and my non-southern pals are nothing like that. Well, most of them anyway...) I do like the description of the Southern friends. So focus on that.

And know that not only would I spend the night in jail with you -- I would figure out how to post your bail as well. And be oh-so-mannerly about it all. It's just what we do down here...


Friends vs Southern Friends

Friends: Never ask for food.
Southern Friends: Always bring the food.


Friends: Will say 'hello'.
Southern Friends: Will give you a big hug and a kiss.


Friends: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
Southern Friends: Call your parents Mom and Dad


Friends: Have never seen you cry.
Southern Friends: Cry with you.


Friends: Will eat at your dinner table and leave.
Southern Friends: Will spend hours there, talking, laughing, and just being together. And then help you wash the dishes.


Friends: Know a few things about you.
Southern Friends: Could write a book with direct quotes from you.


Friends: Will leave you behind if that's what the crowd is doing.
Southern Friends: Will kick the back-ends of the whole crowd that left you.


Friends: Would knock on your door.
Southern Friends: Walk right in and say, “Hey, y’all! I’m home.”


Friends: Will visit you in jail.
Southern Friends: Will spend the night in jail with you.


Friends: Will visit you in the hospital when you're sick.
Southern Friends: Will cut your grass and clean your house then come spend the night with you in the hospital.


Friends: Have you on speed dial.
Southern Friends: Have your number memorized.


Friends: Are for a while.
Southern Friends: Are for life.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love this. Even though I'm not Southern. ;-)

Miss Janey said...

Ah. Perfect.