1.01.2009

For a New Year: Wisdom. Profundity. Vocabulary.

Some Old Words for a New Year… my mantras...

1. Faith
Gonna have it. Unshakingly. In myself, in others, in the Divine.

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


2. Focus
Keeping my eyes and concentration on what I want – nay need – to accomplish this year. The possibilities are endless. Just need to maintain my head in the game.

The first rule of focus is ''Wherever you are be there.''
~ Unknown


3. Selfishness
Yeah, that’s what I said. Make time for me and my well-being. Benevolent selfishness. The trickle-down benefits on this will make me a better everything.

“I am simple, complex, generous, selfish, unattractive, beautiful, lazy, and driven.”
~ A very wise Unknown


4. Creativity
Gonna let it out. Use it, bend it, break it, stretch it, test it.

Creativity is a natural extension of our enthusiasm.
~ Earl Nightingale

5. Laughter
Enough said. My personal tonic for what ails me. The most beautiful music in the world -- especially when it’s emanating from Will’s mouth.

The person who can bring the spirit of laughter into a room is indeed blessed.
~ Bennett Cerf


6. Openness
I need to let people into, well, me. In the figurative sense, natch. Let down my guard. Share. Ask for help before Code Blue sets in. Scary, but necessary.

The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.
~ Flora Whittemore


7. Healthy
Eating. Doing. Thinking. Acting. Playing.

Do all of the above healthily. (yikes...)

When the heart is at ease, the body is healthy.
~ Chinese Proverbs


8. Thoughtful
Be it. In word, action and deed.

I am bringing graciousness back.

And frankly, being gracious IS sexy.

Stop the habit of wishful thinking and start the habit of thoughtful wishes.
~ Mary Martin


9. Confidence.
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.
~ Stuart Smalley

Lather, rinse, repeat.


10. Discipline
Remember, it’s OK to color inside the lines. And to scrub the bathtub with regularity.

With self-discipline most anything is possible.
~ Theodore Roosevelt


11. Joy
Celebrate. Exuberate. Propagate.

There are souls in this world which have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go.
~ Frederick William Faber


12. Fun
This, above all, is the catalyst for success, at least for me. Fun = fruition. Just the way I’m programmed. And I forget this sometimes… can't fight it. Gotta just roll with it.

Work is either fun or drudgery. It depends on your attitude. I like fun.
~ Colleen C. Barrett


13. Love
Had some health issues plague friends and family this year – enough to be sobering and thought-provoking.

Gotta share the love. Gotta tell the love. Gotta show the love.

Life is too damn short and precious and precarious.

Just do it. Now. Go tell or show someone that you love them. Go ahead. It’s OK. And when you do, the world will be that much more wonderful as a result.

Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.
~Jean Anouilh


PostScript:
Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.
~ Dr. Seuss

8 comments:

bronsont said...

Wow girlie, what a list!

Thanks for making me think a little :)

Happy New Year

Anonymous said...

Great list Jane! Those are great words to add in to your everyday life!

Happy New Year....XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Amazing, Excellent, and Encouraging - three more words I would add that describe to a "t" the you I see!

Bravo!

TopSurf said...

You did it...you posted one of my favorite quotes of all time by Martin Luther King Jr. and a quote by the brilliant Dr. Suess in the same post. This is a fantastic post. Knowing you, I know that this list will be one that is achieved more than 10 fold. You my dear are such an inspiration. xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

You inspire me. That's is all.

Jen said...

Fabulous, inspiring post! Happy New Year!

Molly said...

Wonderful post with wonderful quotes. I especially appreciate the first and the last.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful list! I now ou can accomplish it all. Happy New Year chica!