2.12.2009

I know you are but what am I...

Ah, the insult.

A good one can make you chuckle as you wince from the blow of the barb.

A bad one can either make you cry at its brutality or shrug at its banality.

My dad forwarded an e-mail to me sent to him from one of his curmudgeon buddies, featuring some sparkling examples of the mighty tongue wielded in witty weaponry.

Thought I'd share. Enjoy.


1) “He had delusions of adequacy.” ~ Walter Kerr

2) “He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” ~ Winston Churchill

3) “I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.”~ Clarence Darrow

4) “He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.” ~ William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

5) “Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?” ~ Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

6) “Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I’ll waste no time reading it.” ~ Moses Hadas

7) “He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.” ~ Oscar Wilde

8) “I feel so miserable without you; it’s almost like having you here.” ~ Stephen Bishop

9) “He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up.” ~ Paul Keating

10) “He has the attention span of a lightning bolt.” ~ Robert Redford

11) “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.” ~ Oscar Wilde



12) “He has Van Gogh’s ear for music.” ~ Billy Wilder



13) “I have the gift of the gab.” ~ Tom S.
“Wrap it up then.” ~ Dave B

3 comments:

TopSurf said...

“He has Van Gogh’s ear for music.” I love that! They are all very good and worthy of stealing.

bronsont said...

Was that post aimed at me, I resemble several (LOL)

Anonymous said...

Those are fantastic! I may borrow a few....