1.26.2009

Me, a Name I Call Myself... on Meme Monday

And now, for something a bit different... a musical meme! Whee!

1. Of all the bands/artists in your cd/record collection, which one do you own the most albums by?

Probably R.E.M., simply because of their long career. There are a couple of albums from the early ‘00s that I don’t have, but otherwise, I’ve got them all.

2. What was the last song you listened to? 
“Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon.

3. What’s in your record/cd player right now?
 
How old is this meme? Got nothing in my CD player at the moment, but the last digital album I listened to was Transatlantic Ping Pong by Glenn Tilbrook. SO great.

4. What song would you say sums you up?
 
“I Take My Chances” by Mary Chapin Carpenter. Or “Fat Bottom Girls” by Queen.

5. What was the last show you attended?
 
The Paquito D’Rivera Quartet gig at Jazz at Lincoln Center in NYC. Front row center table – best seats in the house. Amazing.

6. What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to?
 
Wow. This is a tough one. There have been so many – the Police Synchronicity tour show in ’84; the Roy Haynes gig at the Village Vanguard; the Who Rocks America concert in ’82; the Paquito D’Rivera show this past December; TP & the HB outdoor concert a couple of summers ago.

7. What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert?
 
While I LOVE the Black Crowes, their opening set for the TP & the HB gig was uninspired and dare I say, dull. It consisted of Chris Robinson singing a bit and then dancing around the stage during long long instrumental fills.

8. What band do you love musically but hate the members of?
Interesting question… while I think Britney Spears defines hot mess, I find her tunes strangely infectious.

9. What show are you looking forward to?
 
Got nothing on the docket… at the moment.

10. What is your favorite band shirt?
 
My long gone but beloved Rolling Stones Steel Wheels shirt.

11. What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?
 
Elvis Costello. Just because I think he’s so damn cool.

12. What musician would you like to be in love with for a day?
 
Please. Have we just met?

Stewart Copeland.

And psssst… a day my ass. It’s been nearly 30 years.

13. Sabbath or solo Ozzy? 
Sabbath.

14. Commodores or solo Lionel Ritchie?
 Commodores, baby!

15. Punk rock, hip hop or heavy metal?
 Punk. With a strong lean into alt rock.

16. Name four flawless albums:

Come On, Come On/Mary Chapin Carpenter
American Idiot/ Green Day
Getz Gilberto
Ghost in the Machine/The Police
The White Album/The Beatles
Yeah, I know it said four. My blog, my rules.

17. Did you know that filling out this survey makes you a music geek? Duh.

18. What was the greatest decade for music?
 Great question. Must say the ‘70s. Rock, art rock, pop, disco, punk. All there. Although for jazz, I need to go with the '60s.

19. How many music-related videos/dvds do you own?
 Can count them on one hand – the Peter Bogdonavich documentary on TP & HB documentary; the most recent Police tour DVD.

20. Do you like Journey?
 They’re OK. Like the earlier stuff better. Great for car sing-a-longs.

21. What is your favorite movie soundtrack?This Is Spinal Tap and When Harry Met Sally. New fave on the radar: Slumdog Millionaire.

22. Rolling Stones or Beatles? Not gonna answer this one. Nope. No way.

23. What’s the crappiest CD/record/etc. you’ve ever bought?
 I am stumped at the moment. You got any suggestions?

29. Do you prefer vinyl or CDs? Out of these two, I have to go with CDs. More practical. However, these days, I’m all about the digital.

4 comments:

TopSurf said...

REM? Seriously? I had no clue they are the band that I own the most cd's of (almost all of them). Soundtrack, Slumdog Millionaire FTW!!
Nice meme I loved learning more about your musical tastes.

Unknown said...

I would change REM for U2 any day of the week. Yes you are a music geek!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing more about your musical tastes. I have shuffled this off to my own files for future use!

XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I love love love this meme!!